Monday, June 20, 2005

Why?

1) Why? Why does this crap still go on? As I confronted this topic early on in my weblog, I won't go deep into it again, but I will say that I don't get it. If we really want to, as a country (or state, or county), move back from scientific facts and progress to embrace "intelligent design", we can do this fairly. Keep teaching Evolution in Biology class and never mention Creationism (why beat around the bush? That's what it is), since everything that the scientific method is predicated on pretty much precludes it. Instead, counties that want to neuter their children's intellect can make the schools offer an optional ethics class on Creationism and the scientific method where they can say whatever the hell they want. This way, the roster of students is picked by the parents clamoring for this, and the people who pay just as much in taxes (likely more, actually, since they probably have jobs that don't involve a spatula, a trashbag, and roadkill) don't have to expose their kids to some whacky propaganda that stunts critical thinking. Fair enough, right? No wonder there is a widening gap in income between the poor and the rich; we're messing up all the kids that go to public school.

2) Congrats to, as my Yankee fan friend calls him, "the greatest clutch hitter of the past decade", aka Derek Jeter, for hitting his first career grand slam. After only a measely 136 at bats with the bases loaded, he finally popped one over the wall with the bases juiced. Sure, it was the longest active slamless streak in the majors, but that boy sure is good at coming up in the clutch for his team.

3) Great experience on Friday night. Great seats at the Fens, great (albeit heart-jolting) game with Johnny's walk-off single, great time with the family (except for McGuffin the Elder, who decided he didn't want to go), and a nice walk through Brookline on the way back to our cars. A great time was had by all. Great, great, great. This entry point is grating.

4) Moving is killing me, but I am so glad I decided to pick up my new car last weekend instead of waiting until July 4th (even if I did have to endure a brutal drive back on Sunday). This way, I am able to move stuff on the way to and from worker, thus reducing the number of things going in the too small U-Haul on Saturday. Thus, as I have bribed some friends with pizza and beer to help with the furniture, I am less likely to lose friends over this.

5) Screw the other industrialized nations. There, I've said it. This new banking accord is making my life hell. I was fully prepared to just sit back and wait for my separation date at work, mailing in my on the job performance, but noooooo, these countries just had to come up with a uniform set of laws to make international banking more equitable to each country. Now I'm stucking running numbers and measuring effects and actually doing work. This sucks.

6) I just got a parking ticket when a) I still had time on the meter and b) I had moved my car not an hour before. What is this? Russia? 2-hour parking means I have 2-hours to park, right? And if I move the car, say, to go drive over to the OTS, I should be allowed another 2-hours when I come back, right? But I parked in the same spot I was parked in befor (I think) so I get a ticket EVEN THOUGH I HAD TIME ON THE FUCKING METER AND HAD MOVED MY CAR INBETWEEN!!! Now I have to deal with this crap, on top of my new apartment building forgetting to register receiving my check and my power company cashing my checks and not crediting my accounts. Why do all the little things seem to go screwy all at once? I realize there are bigger things in life to worry about than a $15 parking ticket, but man, it just seems like the little annoying things in life are all ganging up on me at the same time.

7) Okay, I realize these last few have tailed off into a bit of a whining session (and yes, I would like some cheese with that), but whatever. I'm stressed and annoyed. I'll get over it.

2 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, June 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want, my girlfriend and I can gang up on you; I promise it will be anything but annoying.


Meow, McGuffin!!

 
At 3:41 PM, June 21, 2005, Blogger Fletcher Austin McGuffin said...

I'm flattered?

 

<< Home