Tuesday, June 28, 2005

There's comedy, there's high comedy, and then there's stealing Bill Simmons' catchphrases

1) I realize running a point about Tom Cruise being nuts falls on the salient and insightful scale somewhere between "Organic Chemistry is complex" and "trying to teach Christianity to a lion is a bad idea", but I like pointing out irony. Apparently, he went onto Matt Lauer's show and suggested that psychiatry is a pseudo-science. I think this is fabulous coming from a guy who believes in Scientology, the religion that makes Mormonism look like a scientific proof. Personally, I think suggesting that chemical imbalances (you know, things that we can actually measure) don't exist sounds a bit foolish when coming from a man whose religion believes he was at one time inhabited by the souls of a few thousand dead aliens, but that's just me. Then again, I probably am still going to see War of the Worlds, so I'm not sure what that says about me. All hail Xenu.

2) My plans to not drink and unpack last night were thwarted by a night of drinking. The Resident Female and I both had to work late, and when we got home decided that we would go check out the bar around the corner from our place. Of course, we got sucked into doing Quizzo, so the night was a wash. Of course, we won, so the meal and beer was free, which was fantastic. Fortunately for us, as we headed into the final round (like final Jeopardy), the team ahead of us risked all their points and got the question wrong, and the Resident Female and I were the only team to get a correct answer (Question: Who was the only American member of Monty Python's Flying Circus? Answer at the bottom) . While the game was a rousing success, I was a bit disappointed that the Resident Female insisted we name our team "Clever Team Name", as I wanted to us to reuse a name I had employed with great success in college: team "She can suck a New York taxi driver through immigration". Alas, we won anyway, so I guess the point is moot.
(Answer to final question: Terry Gilliam)

3) I have now finished my fourth iteration of data processing for the fourth quantitive impact study (yes, there were supposed to be two "fourth"s in that sentence). Personally, I am hoping there is no fifth set of data before we move onto QIS-5. Regardless, I may now have enough free time to actually think remotely about what I am going to post before I write it, so that is a good thing. Of course, whether or not I actually do that remains to be seen.

4) Sox lost last night, ending a 7 game win streak. Oh well, I didn't see the game so I have nothing of note to add, except it was nice to see in the box score that my boy Arroyo plunked Aaron "Scrotal Residue" Boone. I wish I had more details, but alas, I do not. Personally, I hope he threw one of those nasty curve-balls he has and it broke right at the plate, thus hitting him in the nuts and making him cry like a little girl (see also: Rod, A-).