Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Okay, that works

Okay, so that looks kind of strange. It is sad to see the man go, especially after he showed loyalty to Boston by taking a discount on a three year contract, which in and of itself made
him significantly more desireable in the trade market. Oddly, Bronson's decision to do Boston a favor and not bilk them for every last dollar ended up making the team far better by leading to his absence. In Arroyo, the Sox had an entertaining yet average 29 year old pitcher without a real place on the team, and with no real defined roll going forward with the talent coming up through the system, and a total inability to get out lefties. Now, in his stead, the Sox have a mashing righty backup outfielder, age 24, that can play all three outfield positions and likely will be the starting RF next year after Trot's contract is up. The Sox now have another mid-20s player on the cheap that is solid now and has a huge upside. As this team transitions to the next generation, I get more and more excited. In my opinion, this is a fabulous trade.

Yet it is with a heavy heart that I say goodbye to one of my favorite players. I remember seeing Bronson in Pawtucket. I remember watching his ridiculously high leg kick, that sweeping, frisbie-like slider coming from one of the strangest arm angles I can remember. I also remember that not two weeks after I saw him play in the minors, he threw a perfect game at Pawtucket, and was soon called up to the big show in the summer of 2003. As Grady Little bumbled through the season, riding BH Kim and pinch-running Damien Jackson for Todd Walker in the 5th inning of games, I remember Arroyo taking making huge outs down the stretch and into the playoffs. I also remember the beginning of 2004, when every outing held the possibility of a gem when his heavy-curving breaking ball was there for strikes. I also remember him plunking Slappy McBluelips, igniting his brawl with Varitek ("we don't throw at .260 hitters"), and ultimately leading to the most embarrasing ground ball in Yankee history during the eigth inning of game 6 of the ALCS. So, Bronson, thanks for the memories, thanks for the CD, and I only wish you the best in Cinncinatti.

2 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, March 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like this trade at all. Arroyo did everything a fan could hope a player would do for their favorite team, only to see him tossed aside with no indication of general managerial loyalty for a fat Bellhorn.
We are loyal to our team and to our players. This player was loyal to his team and to its fans. The Red Sox sent him to Ohio and brought in a modern day version of Serrano from "Major League". Let's hope he never hits a bird with a line drive.

 
At 3:34 AM, March 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eventhough I am still awaiting a response to a question in the comments section of the "Chef is Leaving" post, I will weigh in on this trade. Firstly, I am not a Redsox fan but I have sympathized with the Redsox cause for a while. I thought Bronson did a rather commendable thing in the off-season, but that only proved that players have every reason to get every dollar they can squeeze out of the owners. I do not want to hear another owner complain about salaries.
From a sfan's perspective, I think El Guapo's Belt said it best "We are loyal to our team and to our players. This player was loyal to his team and to its fans."
But I also think that Wily Mo is good and will be better, but I am not sure that the pressure of playing in Boston will help maximize his development.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home