Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Evolution makes baby Jesus cry

1) And the band played on... Why have we as a country become so hostile to the idea that ideologies are not sacrosanct and scientific progress is not destrucitive? Stories like this make me wonder if the US will split down the middle, with Rome, NY being one capital and Instanbul, Texas the other.

2) I know it is like shooting fish in a pile full of fish, but I thoroughly enjoyed the arguments I raised with the two PETA protesters today, and the two prototypical arguees that I talked with. The first one was of the, "Yeah, man, I agree with you, but what are you going to do?" mold, where whatever I said anything that was critical of PETA as an organization he sympathized with (which begs the question why he was involved with them). The second guy (the first's reinforcements) was the blatantly hostile and angry type that wouldn't listen to me counterarguments. For example, the following exchange occurred:

"Aren't your shoes leather?"
"Actually, their synthetic leather."
"But doesn't that just propogate the fashion trend that leather should be worn?"
"NO! Not at all! Geez!"

People like these are the ones that have put off all the people in that CNN article above.

3) Personally, I think Theo left at the right time for himself. Theo could have been great; he could have stayed the course, got better, rehabillitated the farm system and notched a few more world series trophy along the way. Then again, he could have fallen flat, or stagnated, or had any of a hundred things go wrong, only tarnishing his reputation. Yet he walked away, and is foregoing a potentially legendary career; instead, his reign will be a mythic one, told for generation in Boston, about how the boy wonder came into a franchise that was the model of anguish, and within months turned it into a 3-time playoff contender, twice being arguably the best team in the league, and bring a trophy to the town for the first time in decades. Sure, the whole leaving situation is pretty messed up and somewhat disheartening, but let's just say the man knows how to make an exit. Oh, and screw Dan Shaugnessy.

4) I was pleased by the results of the Sunday night's contest, but I am still a bit worried about the Pats. Of course, I am more worried about ESPN, who twice were talking over the plays when there were turnovers. That announcing team just has a way of picking the wrong time to do anything, most notably of which is speak. That team is coming desperately close to shooting blood out of my ears every time every week. Then again, we can't fire them, as ESPN would probably replace them with a crew of Stuart Scott, Gilbert Godfriend, and the Vietnamese townswoman that Tom Berenger shoots in the head.

5) Okay, did anybody get the reference to the Roman Empire in point # 1? Anyone at all? Fuck it, I don't care and I hate all of you.

2 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, November 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am surprised by how well you handled the Theo resignation. I was expecting to read a post that somewhat resembled a letter from Hawaii to the White House on December 7, 1941. Well, I agree that it was better for Theo to move on. It looks like the team was entering a slight rebuidling phase, and in Boston, it is always better to go out while on top, just ask Jim Rice. Boston can turn on you, no matter who you are. I would love to know why he left. This insatiable desire to know why Theo left, in addition to wanting to know if Manny is going to get traded, and what teh Mets are going to do this off season, gives some validity to one of your previous post. Men do love their gossip and this manifests itself during the off-season.

 
At 7:35 AM, November 04, 2005, Blogger Fletcher Austin McGuffin said...

Well, don't get me wrong, I am disappointed, but I can see why he did it. All told, I am pretty happy with all the sports teams that I root for; sure we may be seeing the downside of the best sport's time in my life, but it was a hell of a ride. With the superbowls and the world series, the two things I most want to see now are a Bruins Stanley Cup win and a USA Rugby World Cup title(2057! It's just around the corner!), and Theo isn't really going to help out with either. So it's cool if he goes, though I would have preferred he stayed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home