Thursday, September 29, 2005

Grab bag

1) Reason number 6,138 to hate the Colts: they cheat, with their defensive line preaching Denver-esque offensive line tactics. And they continue with their self-righteous indignation. Okay, maybe I'm being a little unfair. But then again, it's the Colts.

2) Freaky realization: if I were ever to suffer an injury that made me chronically in pain and bitter, I would become Dr. House. The Resident Female said as much, "I know you think of things as mean and on target as the things he says. You always tell me about them later." I'm not sure if that was a compliment or an insult.

3) So I finally saw an entire Patriots game for the first time this past weekend, and my initial reaction was, "How's that taste Pittsburgh?!? YEAH!! OH YEAH!!! SUCK IT!!!" Of course, I then realized that I was probably a little over the top reacting that way, and I got to thinking about the game, and I was in a less than stellar mood. Despite the obvious losses of both Harrison and Light, which is big, I still noticed a certain sloppiness in the game. When you look at the stats and the drive charts, the Patriots dominated that game. They moved the ball against them almost at will, Roethlisbergenheimerneimerdisguvix had a craptacular day passing, and their two touchdowns were the results of a safety getting tripped up by another defender and a bullshit pass interference penalty on 4th and forever where the defender was looking for the ball and got flagged anyway. Yet the game was still close, because Kevin Faulk is require to fumble on his 8th, 17th, and 23rd touch of every game and a fluke tip ball that was thrown to the side of the line (and not above it).

Now, don't get me wrong, the Steelers have a very tough defense and create a lot of pressure and turnovers on their own. However, it felt more like the Pats were messing up than the Steelers were suddenly figuring them out for one play after getting their territory marched over like it was the French countryside. There still seems to be a disconnect about the team, a lack of crispness, that hadn't really shown the last few years.

Oh well. I'm sure it will work out. I said if they make it through the first six games at 4-2, I'd be fairly high on the team's chances, and they are halfway there. Hell, if they enter their bye week 5-1 with the only loss to an NFC team, I'll still be ecstatic. If they go 5-1 and drub the Colts in week 9, well, I think we might well witness the first 3-in-a-row superbowl champions. Well, all that remains to be seen.

4) On the plus side, the Resident Female is floating on air since her Queen City Thundercats have the inside track on homefield advantage, being 3-0 for the first time since they last made the playoffs, which was when she was 8.

1 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, September 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry cortles, your team is still second tier. Don't worry, if they ever play the Pats in the near future, I will buy the wings/nacho combo and lambast you with comments about how much better we are as the game and your season slowly slip away.

And I think Carson Palmer might be gay....FYI.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home