Monday, January 16, 2006

You've got to be kidding me

A few random thoughts while contemplating the state of refereeing in the NFL

1) Seriously, was there one game this weekend that didn't have at least two major, game turning calls that were just blatantly wrong? I mean, offensive pass interference called on the defense, interception/fumbles called an incompletion, an aborted 4th-and-inches that had no penalty called on anyone (how is that fucking possible? If they line up and no snap happens, there has to be either a false start or offsides. There has to. How can there not? Look, if the O-line gets set, a play has to be run, it is in the freaking rule book!), Andre Davis being tackled by the facemask with two hands, etc. I mean, if there is a story this weekend, it is how bad the officiating was, and that is it.

2) So the Pats run came to an end, with the final score New England 13, Denver 13, Refs 14. I don't want it to sound like sour grapes, and god knows the Pats look sloppy the whole game, but it is much harder to take the defeat when the officiating was so bad. If Denver had come out, whooped the Pats legitimately, okay, I'd take it. But when they get two 1st downs on the 1 yd line because of messed up calls, and they lead to the margin of victory, well, that sucks. Look, when you have Brady making a critical mistake at a the biggest moment in the game, not to mention missing open recievers all day and not beating the blitz, Adam V shanking a kick, and Troy Brown putting the ball on the floor, well, you probably aren't going to win. Still, even with 5 turnovers, you have to wonder. It doesn't feel like the Pats should have lost that game.

3) Well, after the Pats got eliminated, I immedeately decided I was rooting for the NFC participant in the superbowl, with the Panthers being my chosen one. Seriously, when the three teams I like the least (with the Jets maybe sneaking past one of them if push comes to shove) are the only ones left, I guess I'm just rooting for injuries (kidding!). Indy, well, they are led by the A-Rod of baseball, this generation's John Elway, the snivelling piece of crap who feels the world is owed to him but lacks the flesh balloons to go out and win it. Screw them (and man, was that shank fantastic, to the extent that I called it the moment they started driving down the field, and I have witnesses), and despite the refs giving them back Peyton's gift to Polomalu, they still lost. Now, in the AFC, we have the Steelers and the Broncos: one team that prides themselves on hurting offensive players on the other team playing the team that makes their hay trying to end defensive linemen's careers. Seriously, when this game is over, the playing field is going to look like that field in Gone With The Wind, bodies strewn about, and women with bad accent (Steelers fans) bitching and moaning. This grudge match is the least appetizing game to watch since the Mets-Yankees world series, or maybe even when Mothra and Godzilla battled each other for the right to destroy Tokyo. Man, these two teams suck.

4) Another thing, for the last two weeks, it seemed like every time Bettis ran the ball, they cut to a shot of his two parents, jumping up and down, tidally locked in celebration, high-fiving every time their moon of a son reached escape velocity from them. Yet, when Bettis tried to hand the game back to Peyton, they didn't show those fat bastards in the stands. That is what I was waiting for. Also, how manny times did those teams keep bailing the other one out? I mean, that has to be the worst game ever, despite what Peter Kings says. I mean, Manning and the line kept saying, "here, take the game", but the refs kept saying, "No! wait!", then Jerome pops in and says, "We're going to overtime, baby" before Vanderjaggoff pops up and says, "I'm still bitter at Peyton and Dungy for making fun of me a few years ago, take this you sons of bitches!". That game sucked ass.

5) Okay, so my neighbor seem to be making Meth or are slaughtering animals next door, and I can't hear the music coming from the speakers on my computer, I have to take care of this.

8 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, January 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the Pats. The Pats were moving the ball on the Broncos, but they were not playing flawlessly like they always do in the play-offs. All of the great dynasties took a year or two off(except the Lombardi Packers), retooled and then made another run.
Oh.......and that Colts game was amazing! I feel sorry for Peyton, he played his ass off. I think that Tony Dungy did not devise a strong enough game plan on both sides of the ball. I agree with you that Peyton is the present day Elway, however, Elway did not have that many nasty offensive weapons, but the defense is just as suspect. Dungy's defense will only get stronger. It has been improving every year, and it will continue to do so until they become the Dungy Buccaneers defense. Lastly, Peyton calling off the punt team again, and then converting, wow!

 
At 11:51 AM, January 17, 2006, Blogger Lindsey said...

ok the calls on all the games all weekend sucked, but i don't think the broncos would have won if the pats hadn't made so many mistakes. and i really wanted them to win, but i would have been happier if they had done it well. they'll never beat the steelers. the superbowl will be steelers and sea hawks. which is ok with me i would rather my team take third and do better next year than take second and have a season like the eagles did this year

 
At 1:38 PM, January 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preliminary picks for the Championship games:

I like the Steelers to win outright (despite being a 3.5 point underdog at this point), just like every other critic in the world. I don't see Denver running the ball real well against them (nobody does), and that means Jake Plummer will have to make plays. While he's been safe with the ball so far this year, he hasn't had to make any comebacks, and I don't think he'll be able to do it this time. The Steelers should be able to move the ball through the air early, and I believe that will be enough to win them the game, with the defense finishing the job. Needless to say, I like the Under (41) in thsi game.

As for the Seattle/Carolina game, the more I think about it, the more I like Seattle (-3.5). If healthy, I think Carolina takes this, but they're not. Julius Peppers and Dan Morgan are both questionable with shoulder injuries, and I think that'll be too much to overcome in the run game, and with the pass rush. I don't think the Foster injury hurts them that much, because Goings fits well in that offense, is patient and really isn't that much of a downgrade from the impatient Foster, who often will take a short loss while making an effort to score on every play. Carolina should be able to run a little, and Steve Smith will get his, but it won't be enough to overcome a banged-up defense playing against the No. 1 offense in the league. Needless to say, I also like the Over (44) in this game.

More to come later in the week, when I've really done my research.

cbkcdw

 
At 1:47 PM, January 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record:

In the first week of the playoffs, I won the Washington pick and the under in the Was/TB game. I lost the NYG and Cinci picks, but I think I should get some slack for the Cinci pick due to the Carson Palmer injury, and I only bet the G'-men 'cause they're my team.

In the second week, I won the Denver pick (shouldn't count, because I didn't really like either side of the bet, just wanted some action), the Under in the Den/NE game and the Carolina pick. I lost the Washington pick, the teaser (because of Indy) and I ended up putting some money on Indy to cover as well.

So, effectively, I'm batting about .500. If you take out the Giants and Cinci picks in Week 1, It's more like .625. I'll be keeping a running tally through the Super Bowl, and anyone who doesn't like it can bite me. Or suggest I hook up with Lindsey. Whatever.

clgly

 
At 5:15 PM, January 18, 2006, Blogger Lindsey said...

don't make hooking up with me sound like such a bad thing. well sports may be different i'm a lot of fun in bed

 
At 8:57 AM, January 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, that was supposed to be a dig at 'the internet,' who posted something about us both annoying them the other day. I don't have any idea if hooking up with you would be fun or not. Anyway, I'm attached. Man, does this open me up for some "you are REALLY annoying" comments, or what?

vbjrwfjm

 
At 11:46 AM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Lindsey said...

ok i totally got that it was a dig at the other comment, and i don't care much if your attached i wasn't offering. i just think that when it comes to hooking up with me you should give me the benefit of the doubt that it would be amazing until you know otherwise

 
At 1:17 PM, January 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't think you were offering! I was just saying... I mean, what if my girlfriend read this, and thought I was coming on to you?!

Anyhow, sure: You get the benefit of the doubt. I don't know what I said that made you think that my comments made hooking up with you sound like bad thing. What I DO know is this post has taken on Abbott and Costello undertones, and I'm kind of amused by it.

qykpbzaw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home