Friday, June 03, 2005

Heroes

Odd that on the day I wrote about villians, one of my favorite sports heroes came up big. Big Papi, the man, the myth, the mostly-likely candidate for a human to be mistaken as the Cookie Monster, or whatever else you want to call him; that man knows how to turn my day around. A split with the (h)O's is cool by me.

Now that I have reacquired the three original Star Wars (episodes 4-6 v1.0; no added scenes/effects), I have watched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes back the last two nights, and I am planning on squeezing in Jedi sometime soon. Here are some things that stood out having now scene the new three:

1) The back-story is way off: Vader makes it sound like he chose to leave Obi-Wan, Uncle Owen made it sound like he knew Anakin very well and over a long period of time, and the Clone Wars sounded as if Anakin was actually a pilot in it, moreso than a bodygaurd/ground attack guy.

2) It pisses me off even more that Lucas tried to shoehorn C-3PO and R2-D2 into the backstories. Wouldn't Vader have recognized them?

3) There was a lot more fighting in space in episodes 4-6 than in 1-3. This stuff was much more entertaining than uber-CGI creatures randomly attacking robots.

4) Yoda's accent is noticeably off in episodes 1-3, and I would argue that the muppet looks more real than the CGI one. Though I will say that the CGI-one does not have the whole "anthropomorphic scrotum" look that the muppet had.

5) When comparing the lead female characters, in terms of personality and character strength, Leia is the Margaret Thatcher to Padme's Britney Spears.

So, I think it is safe to say (especially considering #1) that Lucas didn't even bother re-watching the movies before make the prequels.

Really, rewatching the unaltered originals reminds me about how good these things were. I kind of lost myself in the new ones, even allowed myself to enjoy episode 3; In truth, the two series just don't compare at all.

1 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, June 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding Vader never recognizing the Droids in ep 4-6, he never actually sees them. In Episode 4 he's off fighting Obi-Wan when everybody else gets on the falcon. In episode 5 R2D2 is with Luke when the others find out that Lando betrayed them. It's possible that Vader was around when the stromtroopers blasted C3P0 (Perhaps this was one reason he was blown to peices, Vader was mad that his old robot was working for the rebels) but then wouldn't C3P0's first words when Chewie reactivates him have mentioned Vader instead of the stormtroopers? Later when Luke confronts Vader, they are alone, R2D2 is helping everybody else get off the planet.
In Episode 6 Vader is on the death-star and the driods are on the moon. It's possible that Anakin's ghost would have recognized the droids, but from what I can tell, the ghosts can only talk to jedis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home