Saturday, May 28, 2005

Baker's Dozen

I am writing a post now because the Sox are up by a baker's dozen on the Yankees, who just broke up the shutout by getting a run off of Timlin. Is there anything better than cheers of "Let's go Red Sox" at the Bronx Toilet Seat? Ah, memories of last October. Anyway, some news:

1) I signed the lease on my new apartment today, which is very exciting. However, this also means that, when I move, I will most likely spend a good deal of time without internet access. Rest assured, my loyal readers (both of you), that I have been mailing in my performance at my job for nearly a month, so the posts are likely to continue with similar frequency.

2) I have just brokered a deal to acquire a car this summer. I am excited about this because I will now have a car after spending over two years without one (for those who do not know, my old car crapped out at 198,365 miles while moving to DC, thus leaving me stranded on the side of the road in Connecticut during a rainstorm with all my worldly possessions neatly packed inside). However, since I will no longer be getting the fat government stipend of metro cards, alternative locomotion was deemed to be a necessity, and now I have it.

3) I am now broke. Between items 1 & 2 of this post, along with the crippling addictions to ebay and alcohol, I have had to fork out quite a bit of green lately. My bank account has gone from healthy to the edge of death. So it goes.

4) In 4th place on my list of best-written books in history is Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. This one is written with an almost childlike simplicity that bounces around the lead character's life, quickly shifting between assorted moments of varying emotional make-ups. The book is a detached and ironic viewing of the horrific fire-bombing of Dresden in World War II, mixed with the fantasies and memories of the main character, who was privy to the bombings as a POW. The matter-of-fact attitude of writing along with the simplicity of the style stands as a stark contrast to the events in the book, whether they be horrific or bizarre. The writing style matches the psychological tenor of Billy Pilgrim, as emotional regression and detachment is really the only option that any reasonable person would have to handle the events in the book. Just a magnificent and powerful juxtaposition of the beauty of life and the evils of war.

5) On a personal note, I recieved very good (albeit cryptic) news about a friend of mine who was recently involved in a terrible accident. If the brief comment left for me by IM is true (the sender has since signed off), I can only say I have a tremendous sense of relief for both Sean and has family. We've all been pulling for you, buddy. Get well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home