Thursday, June 29, 2006

I'm an optimist, or at least I hope I am.

1) "It's not disappointing at all. I think I won a game on one side," Martinez said. "I think the reception I got really overmatched whatever I did out there today, which wasn't much. I'm extremely happy I was able to come back. I didn't have my 'A' game today and they took advantage of it. I couldn't make pitches and basically you just tip your hat and let it go and get ready for the next time.

"Not even a win would give me the satisfaction I got from the reception from the fans. I will always appreciate them and keep them in my heart, and I will never forget this, regardless of the results of the game. I will always remember that as one of the best moments in my life." -Pedro Martinez

2) As nice a story as the whole Mets-Sox, Pedro's return was, I think we saw last night why Pedro left. He is still an elite pitcher, and he will still end the year with great numbers for the Mets, but his reign of dominance was dribbling away in the hitter-heavy AL East. I'm not saying that Pedro isn't still a baseball deity, and I'm definitely not saying that our team couldn't use him right now (or last year, or next year), but perhaps it is for the best that he gets to preserve his win percentage, ERA, and other career rate-stats in the Senior Circuit.

3) And I'm not saying Pedro can't be dominant anymore. There are two great offenses and Albert Pujols in the NL, and Pedro pitches with one of them behind him, and Bronson Arroyo pitching for the other. He can dominate the league without having to crank it up until the playoffs (in the same way he cranked it up in 2003 and 2004 postseason). Come the postseason, I doubt Pedro will give up 8 runs in any of the 3 potential postseason series, much less any post-season start.

4) I bet Lastings Milledge can't wait to get the hell out of Fenway.

5) 11 in a row, ho! Let's get the dozen tonight and then look to make it a baker's on friday.

6) Speaking of tonight, I think this game might be the best pitching matchup of 1998.

7) Also, did anyone else notice that the first 8 innings of the game were pitched by former Sox? Pedro, 3 innings. Darren Oliver, 3 innings. Chad Bradford, 1 inning. Kinda' weird.

8) Final thought on Pedro: look at this season. He gave up 8 runs last night. In 2000, he didn't give up 8 runs in a game all year (high was 6 against the Royals). In fact, he never gave up 8 runs in two consecutive starts. Hell, he didn't give up 8 runs in the entire month of April. Or May. Or July. Or September. Only two starts all year where he gave up more than 3 runs. Worked upto the 7th in 27 of his 29 starts, one of which was the last start of the year where he only gave up 1 hit through 5 and got the win. Greatest season by a right-hander since, well, his 1999 season. We love you Pedro. You were a god to us.

4 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, June 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In defense of the National League:
I must remind you that a good portion of your team was plucked from the National League. Yes, the league that plays under the same rules that Tris Speaker, John Mc Graw, Connie Mack, Smokey Joe Wood, and Bob Gibson played under. There is comfort in continuity and is what make baseball our national pastime.
Below are the former National Leaguers that wear redsox(we still miss you navy blue and red sox):
Alex Gonzalez, Mark Lorretta, Mike Lowel, Josh Becket, Curt Shilling, Matt Clement...that is a lot of key players.
You should also considering looking at the Cardinals' line-up:
Eckstien, Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds= pretty good line-up

How about the Phillies:
Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Bobby Abreu, Pat Burrell, Ryan Howard

 
At 1:20 PM, June 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

steady b: I happen to be a Mets fan, but I take issue with your sefense of the NL. The NL is horrible. As of yesterday, the AL is 127-75 against the NL for a winning percentage of .629 or .026 better than the best team in the NL (my Mets). The average AL team is apparently better than the best NL team. Pitiful. I didn't remove the games the Mets played against the AL, so this comparison isn't entirely fair, but the numbers are pretty telling, nonetheless.

 
At 1:23 PM, June 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm bored, so I just ran the numbers of the Mets against only NL teams, and they're .636, only .010 better than the average AL team.

You know, I thik the thing that bothered me the most is that you didn't include the Mets in your list of good NL line-ups. Yup, I'm a homer.

 
At 9:33 PM, June 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dorf:
The Cardinals and the Phillies were mentioned only because Fletcher neglected to mention them in his post. I am aware that the Mets are currently the class of the National League because I too am a Mets fans. I feel that the National League has been getting a bad rap when you have teams in the American League raiding National League talent. I will admit that my argument is very emotional, but there is some true in it.

Yankees suck!....in a Nazi Germany kind of way....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home